Visit Us On

July 9, 2013

From the Judaic Director's Desk


 Inspired by Chief Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sack’s comments on this week’s Torah portion, Devarim, we began by discussing the difference between law and justice.
After beginning with a brief detour, we delved into the topic of communication. How do we communicate with each other? What means do we use to communicate? Text, talk, written, and non-verbal forms of communication allow us to communicate with one another.
Segue to the topic of communicating with Divinity.
How do you communicate with God? Is there only one way to interact with the Holy Other? We mentioned how Chasidism opened the door for numerous, previously unexplored, means to communicate with God. One can pray or communicate with God through traditional means of employing a siddur (prayer book) to recite prayers in Hebrew. Chasidism shows us that one can pray through song, dance, silent meditation, reciting wordless melodies.
The campers grasped the concept of Divine communication through a variety of means.
Rewind.
If traditional prayer has a greatest hits, the Shema makes the list. We explored the translation, and theological implications of the Shema.  The girls in S3 and S4 spent time in Chevrutah (‘together’) study, the time tested manner of Yeshiva study where partners read, wrestle, and discuss text.
Finally, each student recorded their own ‘statement of faith.’ The following are but a few of the mind numbing examples OUR campers provided (culled from S3, S4, M1, O2, O3, M2, M3).
Enjoy!

I am Noah.
Respect me and I will respect you.
Be kind to everyone you meet.
Love your family.
If you have nothing good to say don’t say it.
Try your best at everything.
-Noah B.

I am Zachary Mattue Gelfond. My family is important for me, and so is being kind.  I try to work hard and do it right.  I try hard in school and get good grades.  I want to make the world better.
-Zachary G.

I am Sam.  I like peace and quiet.  I like competitive people but not all of them.  I like honest friends.
-Sam L.

I’m Sophia.  I think woman’s rights are important. That gossip is wrong also the arts and sports are important too. But the most important thing is love.
-Sophia

Lindsay and Ella think that being kind to family and friends is an important thing to do.  We agree that littering and being bad to the environment is a terrible decision to make.  WE are kind to others and we do not talk about people behind their backs.  We do not bully other people because we think it is mean and disrespectful.  We both are proud Jews and we respect our religion. We do nice things for others “mitzvahs.”
-Lindsay W. and Ella S.

I am Chase.  It is important to listen to others, but think for yourself.  Respect. Go Knicks.
-Chase C.

I am Ethan, a.k.a Cricket.  Respect your elders but defend yourself if they disrespect you.  Try your best in school because it is very important.
-Ethan

One thing that is very important to me is making things as fair as possible.  I believe that you can make life as fair as you want as long as you try.  Another thing is being kind to other people.  Helping them out when they ask or even asking if they need help.  Also not killing animals to eat when you can eat other things without killing them.  They never did anything to you and you should respect them.
-Shira

My name is Alex Lederman.  I believe that it is the responsibility of every human to treat everyone with respect regardless of nationality, religion, sexual orientation, money, appearance, culture, language, and belief. Violence is a tool only to be used in moderation and only when absolutely necessary.
-Alex L.

Treat your neighbors, friends and foes as equals for humans are humans as all colors can be seen.  Even the birds in the sky, the creatures who roam our earth, the creepy crawlers and the fish in the sea should be tread as fellow humans and not killed for you would not kill your neighbor.  You must think before you speak and be careful what [you] let show in an effort not to offend.

Teach others what you know and learn from mistakes. Mistakes are human and take advantage of the lessons you learn from them.  Teach our wrongs as well as rights to teach what to do and what not to.  People may not always succeed but trying your best is something you should be equally as proud of.  Wisdom and teaching are the bones and kindness and affection is the heart of being a good person in my eyes.
-Tali B.C.

David Zarkowsky
Judaic Director
Why not share this post