Visit Us On

June 10, 2013

From Josh Sham, Tusc UH

Dear CSL,

This past year I have been at Peddie, a boarding school in New Jersey. Coming off the high that was “CSL 2012,” my school year began with somewhat of a challenge.  I was leaving CSL, my family, and arriving at a new home.  Though the weather wasn’t as nice, and the living quarters not as dirty, I still began to realize countless parallels between Peddie and CSL.

Fall term I was assigned the daunting task of coaching girls JV soccer.  Thankfully, I was not the head coach, seeing as how I had never kicked a soccer ball in my life.  But my comfort level quickly grew, and I soon began to speak out more during practice, particually about camp.  One day after practice, the other coaches and I discussed the lack of unity and teamwork among our players.  Teamwork...now that was something that I understood!  Once again, I reflected on the past summer and suggested that we do a bonding activity, the same one that Tusc 2012 did on the first evening of camp.  As expected, the students at Peddie added their own spice.  But for the first time, their pure enthusiasm made me realize that wherever you go, kids will be kids.

Just as I was starting to refine my goal-kick, the season ended, and so did the nice weather.  Though for most this is a dreary, depressing time of year, for me, it is when my camp hangover ends, and I am able to begin thinking about the future.  Thus, we shifted gears to Tusc 2013.

When spring arrived, I found myself more engaged in my new found home, taking every possible opportunity.  One day, a Peddie Legend, Pat Clements, stopped by my classroom, inquiring about my summer plans.  In short, I explained to Pat that every summer I attend a summer camp, which is the greatest place on earth.  He appropriately responded, “everyone knows that already, Josh, but what are you doing beforehand?” I got to thinking, well I wasn’t doing anything.  At this point Pat reminded me that at the conclusion of the school year, sophomores go on a 250 mile bike trip.  Now I have to admit, Biking is not my forte, but if you were to ask any past Tuscaroran, nothing beats the bike trip.  I had to say yes.

So here I am sitting in an empty room with just my camp gear.  I will embark on this bike trip starting June 6th and will be on the road until June 12th.  My hope is that I will be able to discover new elements can be used this summer.  While at the same time, show Peddie how we do bike trips CSL style.

Tusc 2013, about a month from now you will be on YOUR bike trip. Get excited...

Josh Sham
Tuscarora UH, 2013
Why not share this post