Hi Everyone!
This morning's discussion groups went really well. Thanks to all the UH's and counselors who helped make them so successful!
Youngest Onondaga and Cayuga learned how we each contribute to building community by creating group puzzles. Middle O&C grappled with Jewish ethical dilemmas, and Oldest O&C created and then performed skits depicting what it may have been like to wander in the desert. Youngest Mohawk and Seneca learned about Jewish views on privacy through the context of Facebook, Twitter, and other social media, while Middle M&S grappled with a similar issue through the lense of "b'tzelem elohim," that we are all created in the image of God, and how we treat others in light of that core Jewish idea. Oldest Seneca and Mohawk also learned about b'tzelem elohim," and explored how that value affects relationships. Tusc discussed the meaning of prayer, and the LITs played Middot-opoly, having some fun while learning about Jewish values.
This week's Shabbat theme was "what I like about Shabbat." Campers and staff spoke beautifully on this topic. I shared a little bit about my week, and how Shabbat provides an opportunity for a fresh start. Whether I'm ready or not, Shabbat starts Friday night, and I'm forced to slow down, reflect, and rejuvenate for a new week.
-Joy Getnick
CSL Judaic Educator