Visit Us On

July 2, 2013

From the Judaic Head's Desk

Seneca brought their ‘A game’ today during the first Shabbat preparation period of CSL 2013. After discussing the Halachic (Jewish law) principle of marit ha-ayin (appearances), the ladies of Seneca began working in self-appointed groups. Skits, poems, essays, the buzz of wrestling with Jewish text echoed through the Chadar O’hel (mess hall).  The entire camp doesn’t know what is in store for them on our first Shabbat together: these girls brought their ‘A game.’

However, YOU do not need to wait to enjoy the fruits of C2 and C3 (Cayuga) first Judaic Studies period.

Earlier this afternoon, we began our period by discussing Judaism at CSL: how we incorporate Jewish ritual and tradition into the CSL experience. The discussion of Judaism at CSL morphed into the topic of Jewish Identity.  Then, we segued into the subject of communicating with God. Is traditional prayer the only way to communicate with God? What different ways do we employ to convey our thoughts and emotions, wants, needs, and wishes to God?

Our discussion of communicating with Divinity produced the following selection of writings. Enjoy!

Dear G-d,
Thank you G-d for creating my family with wealth.  Also thank you for giving my parents enough money to buy all the things I want and being able to send me to this awesome camp.  G-d there is nothing that I could do to repay you.  I hope this letter comes close to repaying you.
(Hudson)

Dear G-d,
Thank you bringing me to CSL.
(unsigned)

Thank you Adonai, our God for the food, the water and the earth.  For creating the sun, moon and stars, and for waking me up in the morning. God, you help me and take care of me.  Thank you God.
(Colby L.)

Thank you for many different things.  These things connect me to Judaism more than I thought.  And thank you also for giving me life, food and shelter.  You have gave me more than I ever thought I would.  So thank you G-d.
(Steven)

Dear God,
I am thankful to you for…
Light, Shelter, Water, food, family, wealth.
Praise you Adoni Our God ruler of the Universe and of course CSL.
(Eli Curwin)
Why not share this post