I arrived home to Brooklyn, NY on Monday June 3rd at 2:10 AM. Though camp has yet to begin, for all intents and purposes it started for me on Saturday June 1st.
I spent the weekend in Rochester, NY attending the Bar Mitzvah of my cousin and soon to be Mohican camper Ezra Feldman. Over the course of the weekend, as is the case every time I find myself in Rochester, I see camp faces from its distant past, more recent past, and present.
My Uncle Larry Markus attended CSL back before it was CSL in the earlier half of last century. My first cousins Rochelle (Ezra's mom), Howard, and Stuart along with many other such as Jeff Rosenbloom attended ranging from the 70's and on, spending time as both campers and staff. If that wasn't fun enough, I interacted with many of the faces that will be gracing the cabins of several villages and even countries (the Israel Trip) over the coming months. Also joining me was my good friend and soon to be pool specialist Philip Miller.
After Ezra nailed the Bar Mitzvah and I wished my family adieu, the Manning car found its way to CSL. While my parents took their time visiting some the wineries they seldom get to because of where we live, I had made an appointment with Ari Baum for a quick visit.
Looking ahead, Ari was not the only one at camp. If Ari was not enough, I was surprised with by Mohawk staff icon and predecessor, Greg Kreitzer. Greg had made the trip up to camp from Syracuse to visit and happened to be there to catch up for a bit. As Ari, Greg, and I walked around, seeing the Dining Hall and the new attachment, running into Marilyn Levin who had a great hug waiting for me, and the immortal Ryan Shechet, who along with his father had been doing work on the Dining Hall, I could not help but get excited.
After Ari and Greg left to grab dinner, I walked down to the 'Hawk and could not help but smile. Its in great shape. I briefly checked out my cabin and put up a poster so that I will feel at home when I return and then my parents returned to pick me up.
This was the first, time I had ever been at CSL when camp was not in session. I would say that the excitement has officially risen to max levels as I prepare to lead the village of Mohawk into what many are calling the best CSL summer since 2012, I am counting down the days until I get to drive down camp road again on June 16th and the magic can officially begin.
Get ready Mohawk. Get ready CSL. If I know me, some pretty crazy stuff is coming your way. Get your rest now, because camp will need everything you have got when you arrive.
Jesse Manning
Mohawk Unit Head
Photo Credit: Greg Kreitzer
